An Avocado flower is a great way to decorate your toast or add a piece of art to any dish. Whether you are trying to impress guests or get a killer Instagram pic, a rose shape will surely accomplish both. It takes a bit of patience but practice makes this something you can whip up in a matter of minutes.
Here is a quick tutorial on how you can make them at home
Photo by: @secretsquirrelfood
Before getting started
- Don’t use avocados that are too ripe: Ripe and soft avocados are great for guacamole or smashed avocado toast but not for roses. The avocado just doesn’t hold together cleanly when too ripe, and you’ll end up with a mess when you try to curl the avocado slices together. Be sure to pick a ripe avocado that’s still firm.
- Sprinkle lime or lemon juice to keep avocado from changing color: Some avocados start developing black spots soon after you cut into them. Add some lime or lemon juice to slow down this process so your rose stays nice and green.
- Use a good knife: You’ll want to have a sharp but light knife that lets you cut through the avocado without it sticking to the sides. I’d recommend a standard chefs knife or a pairing knife to work best
- Cut avocado in half and either peel the skin or use a spoon to take out the avocado in one piece. Lay one half cut side down and slice the avocado thinly. You want the slices to be quite thin so it can spread out and be easier to shape. If you want a smaller rose, you’ll only want to use 1/2 of the slices. The more slicers the larger the flower.
- Fan out avocado slices so that they form a long line with the slices remaining overlapping of each other. Starting from one end, curl avocado slices toward the center slowly. Continue curling all the way to the end to get your rose
- Sprinkle on your favorite spices, our current one is Trader Joes Everything But the Bagel Seasoning but see below for our other favorites. Serve avocado rose on toast, in a bowl, or just eat it plain.
Upload your Avocado Rose to Instagram and tag @mixavocado for a chance to be featured!